Friday, September 07, 2012

A Name From Before

Thanks to Arena Homme + I got to know a fairly obscure label outside Japan called Men's BIGI. It was big during the 80's and went on a global mission in 1985 to launch worldwide. Takeo Kikuchi was the designer of the label and they introduced street casting for their shows. They filled their catwalks with inspiring individuals to create the biggest and most extravagant fashion statement which includes dancers from Harlem, singers from London, motorbikes and gospel singers, typically.

I snapped this Men's BIGI jacket from a Japanese thriftshop some time ago. The most interesting thing about it for me were the shape and the texture of the fabric. I like that the shape and cut were totally contemporary for me. It doesn't scream 80's boxy but is in line with a more softer vision of what the 80's boxy would look like especially when you think about the works of Nicolas Ghesquiere for Balenciaga or Christophe Decarnin for Balmain, before his untimely departure due to a nervous breakdown (or drug addiction, whichever you are talking to). The fabric has some textured patterns reminiscent of woodgrain and has a little bit of stiffness that makes the jacket armorial and compact when buttoned. I like that it can wrap me tight, actually.

No comments: