Sunday, September 27, 2009

Don't Judge a Book if You Are Not a Judge

The weather has been slightly less sunny here in SR due to daily rainshowers. The temperature much more forgiving for light layering of clothing, although, the weather can go mental and suddenly all sunny after a dark, brooding moment. Hence, the need for peel anytime pieces, like a cardigan or hoodie. That's not what this post is all about, though.

The rain has been consistent this week and nothing more I want to do than to curl up in my bed with a good stack of magazines and books. Only if I didn't have much work to attend to, which is the opposite. Anyway, here's a few books I want to acquire (although it would also be nice to receive them from friends, non?) because all are so chic and fasyon.

I'm dying to get this one. Raf Simons is one intellectual designer that fascinates me. From the reviews I've read, the book somehow explores the complex influences that Raf has woven into his designs which touch on youth culture and alternative movements. Whatever are those, I want to know.

Maison Martin Margiela by Rizzoli. A must for MMM fans like moi. Will be launched late October. Anyone?! I NEED this!

I've borrowed this book from Ignacio Loyola before and liked it very much. When I got the chance to buy it at Fully Booked I changed my mind and got the i-D book instead. Now I'm regreting it because it chronicles lots of my fave designers like Martin Margiela, Ann Demuelemeester, Veronique Branquinho and Raf Simons (with his designs on the cover). The MMM interview about fashion was so exhaustive it even discussed hardcore fashion intellectualism (pretensions, I suppose?) such as fashion vs. theater, fashion and the body and similar nose bleed topics.

The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit exhibited a wonderful array of Rei Kawakubo's designs for Comme des Garcons last year and they produced this delish book to go with it. The exhibit was curated by Harold Koda, head curator of Met's The Costume Institute, and it documents a lot of Kawakubo's key designs that are still so influential today.

Published by Rizzoli in 1990, I presume it documents the early design vocabulary that Rei Kawakubo and Comme des Garcons are known for. It will be interesting to review her older designs and somehow compare them with the progression that she and her label have explored now.

Can someone make a book about Helmut Lang, already?!

3 comments:

Lyka Bergen said...

Kainis ang Title ng post na toh! Tse!

toxic disco boy said...

i hope the weather won't go to Ondoy proportions there.

love, kisses and such! ^^

fuchsiaboy said...

lyka - tse ka din! psssttt...can you buy raf simons redux for moi? ;)

toxic - dadaan nga daw dito bukas and the next day. hope it's not as strong or di talaga dadaan.